Today, digital is top of mind for most organizations. Even so, many struggle to agree on what "digital" is, let alone agree on an enterprise digital strategy. Frequently, digital is viewed from the limited perspective of an individual or single team. IT may define digital in terms of technology, while marketing's definition may center on customer engagement. Lack of a common language and unified approach leads to disjointed strategies being created in silos, resulting in competing priorities within the organization.
Alignment Across the Organization
Digital success becomes a reality when an organization aligns their digital strategy with their enterprise strategy - across all verticals. In the race to remain relevant, many companies get off-track by rushing to the latest "digital" trend without fully understanding how or even if the trend enables their strategic success. Rapid evolution is built into the DNA of the digital world. Rather than reacting, successful digital organizations pause periodically to confirm alignment with the enterprise vision, evolving and updating their digital approach as necessary.
Digital Transformation Playbook
Executing a collaborative, agile plan while maintaining strategic direction demands a thoughtful approach. Leveraging the following digital transformation components outlined below will provide a game plan for success.
- Align – Digital impacts every corner of the organization. Create a steering committee to champion the strategy, prioritize goals and quickly remove roadblocks. Finalize the roadmap.
- Assess – Take a deep dive and understand not only the target market and customers, but also the current and future disruptors. Examine the current environment; identify capabilities, gaps and risks. Create an initial roadmap.
- Plan – Build a clear plan with requirements, milestones and checkpoints. Define success metrics. Engage internal and/or external teams, further establish governance processes and outline clear escalation paths. Obtain steering committee sign off.
- Execute – Drive to the plan. Communicate progress and solicit feedback. Hold frequent team and steering committee checkpoints to ensure ongoing strategic alignment.
- Measure – Continuously track progress against success metrics. Pause periodically to confirm alignment. Leverage the governance process to evolve, update and iterate as necessary.
meltmedia teamed up with Point B for a lively conversation around the biggest challenges and pitfalls companies face while tackling digital transformation. Read our key takeaways from the event right here. To find out if you should get moving on your digital transformation, take our digital maturity quiz.